city at night

city at night

Thursday, April 13, 2017

I Stand Corrected

The other day I wrote that I found it strange that I did not see any churches in "Colonia Nápoles", the neighborhood where I am staying.  Well, today, during my wanderings, I found one... the parish church of San Antonio de Padua.

The architecture of the church is modern, and it would have been easy to pass it by without realizing that it was a church.


The interior is quite striking.  Unlike most Mexican churches, there were no side chapels and there were very few images of saints.  The window behind the altar appears to be made of thin sheets of translucent onyx.


So, I stand corrected.  Religion does exist in Nápoles after all.

2 comments:

  1. There are a number of those very modern, concrete churches dotted around Mexico City. There's a lovely one in Narvarte or Del Valle (I'm never sure where the line is), Parish of Our Lady of Mercy
    Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de la Piedad, which can be found here:https://goo.gl/maps/CJjGnJ2fZeJ2. I believe it was built in 1947.

    Then there's a similar (though not as nice) one in Cuauhtémoc, Parroquia del Santísimo Redentor, here: https://goo.gl/maps/NVUULtx5ZWn. It looks to be the same vintage, more or less, but I haven't examined it closely.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Redding, CA
    Where the churches are more modest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you notice the first picture, you will notice that the front of the structure looks like an ordinary office building. If I had not been across the street and seen the arched roof, I might have not realized it was a church.

      Delete