city at night

city at night

Sunday, April 16, 2017

April Flowers

North of the border we have the old saying, "April showers bring May flowers."  Here in Mexico April is still part of the dry season, but there are plenty of flowers blooming.

From late winter through early spring, there are jacaranda trees blooming everywhere in Mexico City.  (If you should look at the satellite view of Mexico City on Google Maps, it is obvious that it was photographed during the jacaranda season because there are splotches of purple everywhere.)






Regardless of the season, you will find bougainvillea in bloom.






They are not native to Mexico, but I saw some bird of paradise blooming near the entrance to the Anthropology Museum.



Christmas is long past, but I saw this "flor de Nochebuena" (we know it as a poinsettia) which was as tall as a small tree.  It had dropped most of its green leaves, but it still had some of its red bracts.


There are a number of flowers which I see all the time in Mexico City's parks, but I do not know what they are.  Do any of my readers know?


I see this flower everywhere.  The plant has tall, spiky leaves.  The flower is quite small, but, if you look at it carefully, it is very beautiful.



Is this flower a member of the allium family?



And finally, what is this flower which I have seen in a number of the city's parks?

Best wishes to all my readers for a happy Easter!


8 comments:

  1. THOSE are what Jacaranda look like. In Greece, they called Jacarandas Redbuds or Judas Trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were they blooming in Greece when you were there?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the note about Google Maps. Now I'm enjoying exploring the city in satellite view, with an eye toward finding patches of purple. (And I've already spotted many.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While you are looking at Mexico City on Google Maps, see if you can find the World Trade Center, and close to it Calle Texas... that's where I am!

      Delete
    2. Yup, spotted it! (I'm also finding it humorous that Calle Texas is a rather small street.)

      Delete
    3. Yes, I'm sure that some Texans would be offended that their street isn't the main avenue of the neighborhood.
      By the way, Ohio Street is a very minor street, and today I discovered Cleveland Street.

      Delete
  3. The flower that looks like a tiny iris is a butterfly lily and the white flower in the shape of a ball with tiny blooms is an agapanthus. Hummingbirds LOVE that plant. The blooms last about a month. Each day I have multiple hummingbirds sticking their beak into each bloom!

    ReplyDelete