from airplane

from airplane

Monday, April 4, 2022

Visiting the Antique Stores

Last Thursday I got together with my sister-in-law Phyliis and her husband Jim.  Since they live in Columbus, two hours down the interstate from me, we will sometimes meet half-way for lunch in the city of Mansfield.  They enjoy looking through antique stores, so after lunch we visited a couple of interesting shops in the downtown district.  

In the first one I found something that caught my eye.  I considered buying it for Alejandro's nephew Ezra.  It was a small, porcelain figurine of a rabbit.


 It was made by Royal Doulton.  Every year they make a rabbit figurine called a "Bunnykins".  This one is nearly fifty years old; it dates from 1974.  Since I will be in Mexico City for Easter, and we are going to have another Easter egg hunt for Ezra, I thought it might be an appropriate gift.  Even if he doesn't appreciate it now, years in the future when he looks at it, he might think back on the Easter egg hunts that we had.  On the other hand, is a fragile piece of porcelain something to give to an 11-year-old boy?  I stood there in the shop, debating whether or not I should buy it.  The price was not exorbitant (I later found a Royal Doulton catalog online, and it was less expensive than the price listed there), but it wasn't cheap either.   I finally decided to buy it, and I will impress on him that he needs to keep it somewhere where it will not be broken. 

We moved on to another shop just a few doors down the street.  It was an art gallery and antique store.  There was something that caught my eye in that place also.  I don't know if it was an antique, but it was a clay replica of a Mayan figure.  I wasn't sure where I would put it, but it goes perfectly with the many other Mexican handicrafts that I have in the house.


 So, I returned home with two packages from the shops in Mansfield.


No comments:

Post a Comment