from airplane

from airplane

Friday, April 22, 2022

Eating Japanese

 As befits a cosmopolitan city like Mexico City there is a wide variety of restaurants featuring cuisines from all over the world.  As much as I love Mexican food, sometimes it's nice to take a break from it.  On my many visits to Mexico City I have eaten at Italian, Indian, Swiss, and Polish restaurants, not to mention an American-style diner.  

Along Insurgentes Avenue, just a short walk from my apartment, there has been a sign in a vacant building saying that a Japanese market was coming soon.  It finally opened during Holy Week.  The complex includes a couple shops, a karate studio, and three restaurants.  Alejandro didn't have to work on Good Friday, so the two of us decided to try out the Japanese food.  

(I had already checked out the menus, and I didn't see sushi listed. Good!  For some reason sushi is very popular in Mexico City.  I went once with Alejandro to a sushi restaurant, and I was not at all impressed.)


Alejandro in front of the Japanese market.
You can see the outdoor restaurant seating right behind him.

You receive the menus for all three of the restaurants, and you can pick and choose.  I had a soup from one menu and a main course from another.  You will receive a separate bill from each restaurant when you are finished.


I don't remember what Alejandro ordered, but he said it was very good.



I had breaded pork with Udon noodles (the thickest kind of Japanese noodle) in a curry sauce.  The dish was tasty, but eating with chopsticks was an ordeal.  The pork was sliced but it was not in bite-size pieces.  The Udon noodles were easier. I would get a few strands on the chopsticks and then slurp them up.  (I have read that slurping is good etiquette in Japan.)  I don't know why, but I didn't ask the waitress if they have Western style utensils until the end of the meal.  When she said "Si", I thought, "OK.  I'd be willing to come here again sometime."

No comments:

Post a Comment