city at night

city at night

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

The Original "Hole-in-the-Wall"

I have mentioned on more than one occasion "El Huequito", a chain of Mexico City taco joints.  There is one just a couple blocks from my apartment, and I have eaten there numerous times.  The name "huequito" literally means "a little hollow space", and is roughly the equivalent of our expression "a hole-in-the-wall".  The chain's name comes from the fact that the original location downtown was indeed a tiny spot.  That original taco joint is still in operation, and some say that the tacos there are better than ay the other branches of the chain.

The original "El Huequito" is right across the street from the San Juan Handicrafts Market, so when I went there last week I decided to stop by for some tacos.  (Amazingly, I had been here in Mexico City for two weeks, and I had not eaten in a "taquería"!)



Outside is the "trompa", the vertical rotisserie from which the meat for "tacos al pastor" is sliced.


 

I suspect that this "hole-in-the-wall" has expanded since1959 when it first opened.  There is an indoor dining area which was larger than I expected.  There were probably about ten tables there.  Since it was still fairly early (around 12:30 P.M.) there were plenty of seats available. It starts to get crowded around 2:00 P.M.


I ordered three "tacos al pastor" with hand-made tortillas, and a glass of lemon water with chia seeds and sweetened with honey.  As at the other locations, there is a tray with a variety of salsas and lime wedges.  (You must squirt some lime juice on your taco!)


Were the tacos here better than the ones I get at the branch near my apartment?  Well, the tacos were very good, but I would probably have to do a side-by-side comparison to really judge which ones were better.  In any event, on future trips I will have to make a taco stop here whenever I go to the San Juan Market.




No comments:

Post a Comment