city at night

city at night

Monday, April 25, 2022

Treasures from the Market

Last week I returned to the San Juan Handicrafts Market.  The previous week when I was there I found something I wanted to buy, but I did not have enough cash on me, and the vendor did not accept credit cards.  

The item that I saw was this doll.  He is dressed in the traditional garb of the Huichol tribe from the Mexican state of Nayarit.


I have mentioned before that years ago I would always buy dolls on my travels for the daughter of one of my teaching colleagues.  Now she has daughters of her own I have resumed that tradition.  I think this doll will be a unique addition to their collection.

Ceramic figurines of jaguars are made in the town of Amatenango del Valle in the Mexican state of Chiapas.  They have become very popular, and you see them in all of the handicrafts markets.  My sister-in-law is a cat lover, and years ago when she traveled to Mexico with me, she bought one of those figurines.  At the San Juan Market I found one that was unlike any of the others, and I had to buy it for her.


This jaguar is painted with flowers instead of spots.  And its position, on its back, with its legs raised is unique.  As the vendor said to me, "It is as if he is waiting to be tickled!"

I have also mentioned my friend Irma who collects Nativity scenes.  I found this one from Oaxaca which is made of tin.  I have seen tin Nativity scenes before, but nothing quite like this one.


The figures fold down, and the entire thing closes to form a compact case.  

The market is not nearly as large as the nearby Ciudadela Handicrafts Market, and once again at least half of the stalls in the market were empty.  However, I found some gems that I have not seen in other places.  The San Juan Market will take its place as one of my destinations as a place to shop for handicrafts.  



No comments:

Post a Comment