city at night

city at night

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Testing... Testing

I was in Mexico when the President announced that all households could receive two free COVID testing kits.  My friend who house-sits for me signed me up for the kits, and they arrived in the mail before I returned home.  When it was announced that two more free kits were available, I signed up for those also.  So, I now have four kits at home... well, actually three, because, in preparation for my trip to Mexico, I have just finished taking one of the tests.  (There is no testing requirement to enter Mexico, but I like to test myself prior to traveling.)



Each box contains two tests, and you are supposed to test yourself twice... repeating the test after at least 24 hours.  I took the first test yesterday morning and today I just completed the second test.  You swirl the swab up each nostril, then stir the swab in a vial of liquid.  You put several drops of the liquid on a testing strip and wait 15 minutes.


If a line appears under both the C and the T, you have tested positive for the coronavirus.  If the line appears only under the C, you are negative.  Both times I tested negative.  

I am staying at home this week until my departure on Thursday.  I will once again double-mask when I travel.  I packed another test kit into my suitcase, and, after arriving in Mexico, I will test myself again just to make sure that I didn't pick up the virus enroute.  I know that I may seem overly cautious to the point of paranoia, but I want to be sure that I am not unknowingly carrying COVID to Alejandro's family. 

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful that you are still cautious. Safe travels.
    I'm very concerned about heading to Texas next week as I
    hear that people in the USA are no longer wearing masks,
    using hand sanitizer etc etc etc. The home tests are good
    but not always correct. We tried them with my granddaughter
    and she tested negative twice. But a PCR test proved that indeed she had covid. So, if you feel sickly, think about a PCR test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't have any already, get yourself some N-95 or KN-95 masks to wear on the plane and whenever you are out and about. To be extra safe wear a surgical mask over that. If anyone looks at you strangely, that's THEIR problem!

      Delete
  2. I had not heard we could get a second batch. I just ordered mine. Gracias!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, by chance I happened to see an article on the internet, and it had the link to order them.

      Delete