city at night

city at night

Thursday, April 28, 2022

Saturday in San Angel

Last Saturday Alejandro and I took the Metrobus south down Insurgentes Avenue to the San Angel neighborhood.  San Angel was once a rural town separate from Mexico City.  It was not until the 20th century that it was absorbed into the growing metropolis.  Many of the streets in the heart of San Angel retain the picturesqueness of a colonial town.


 

Alejandro poses with an angel in San Angel.

Our reason for coming to San Angel was to visit the art and handicraft markets that are held here every Saturday.  It had been quite a while since we had been there.

The large art market is held on two different plazas, about one block apart from each other.


A large number of artists displaying their work here every Saturday.  The art runs the gamut from traditional landscapes to modern abstract.  I always enjoy wandering around and looking at all the talent on display.  Just beyond the second plaza there is a third small plaza filled with stalls selling handicrafts.  On this visit we never even made it into the "Bazar Sábado" (Saturday Bazaar), a large building filled with artisans selling rather upscale merchandise.

I did not leave San Angel empty-handed.  I bought two small paintings, one as a birthday present, the other for myself.  I bought this landscape with the volcano Popocatépetl from an artist by the name of Luis Hijar Muñoz.


I still have to hang two pieces that I bought at the Sunday art market at "Jardín Sullivan" on my last trip.  Now I will have to figure out where to hang this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment