from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Venturing Out

 If you have read my blog for a while, you know that when I am in Mexico City I split my time between Alejandro's home and an apartment in the upscale neighborhood of Nápoles.  I was very lucky to make contact with a couple in the U.S. who were willing to rent me their Mexico City condo, and charge me only for the time that I spend there.  After staying there on numerous trips for the last several years, the place has started to feel like my home-away-from-home.  On Tuesday afternoon Alejandro drove me to the apartment.


The room where many of my blog posts are written

After getting settled into the condo, I ventured out to buy some necessities at the supermarket in the shopping mall just down the street from me.  The entrance to the mall was previously wide open, but now, because of the pandemic, glass partitions have been erected across most of the entrance.  You enter through a monitored area.  You walk across a disinfectant mat, have your temperature taken and are given a squirt of hand sanitizer.  When I got to the Superama supermarket at the far end of the mall I had my temperature taken again as I entered.



Even though I am fully vaccinated, I do not feel comfortable eating inside a restaurant.  I had decided that I would only eat out at places that had outdoor dining.  So I very pleased to see that one of favorite restaurants, El Cardenal, which now has a branch located to the side of the mall, has placed some tables outside.



At the other side of the mall entrance, another restaurant, Fondue Haus, has also set tables outside.  I have eaten at Fondue Haus a number of times.  In addition to fondue, they have good individual-sized pizzas that are quite unlike typical pizzas in the States.



Across the street I noticed that a seafood restaurant "De Costa a Costa" also has placed well-separated tables on the sidewalk.  I don't care for shellfish, but they have an excellent breakfast menu, and I have taken visitors there for breakfast.



It looks like I will not have any trouble finding places to eat.  Good for me, but bad for my waistline.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your restaurant suggestions. As many times as we have been in Mexico City, we remain fairly clueless as far as places to eat, so we end up eating here and there. Our second Pfizer shot is supposed to arrive next weekend and that should clear up some travel options for us. We traveled pretty much to the same places, but not quite. I might consult with you for our next destination. We have a voucher from Aeromexico for two business class seats to London that expire in November and the last thing we want to do is let those expire. Take care/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend "El Cardenal" the next time you make it to CDMX. It is a chain, but I have found all of the branches to serve excellent traditional Mexican cuisine. (I have already been there once for dinner and once for breakfast!) My very favorite restaurant however is Angelopolitano, which serves the best "moles" and "chiles en nogada" that I have ever had.

      I don't know how much good I will be for recommendations on London. It's been a few years since I have been there. And I stayed in the outskirts near where my English cousin lives and took the train in to see the sights. So I didn't do that much eating in the city center.
      Glad you found my blog.
      ¡Cuídense mucho!

      Delete
  2. I recognized all those places from Annette's and my visit in 2019! I know you were anxious for El Cardenal to open this new location, and glad you can enjoy it outdoors during this visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new location is just as good as all the others. Yesterday I ate outside at that Yucatecan restaurant we visited not too far from the apartment. Today I might go to the taco restaurant where we went your first night in CDMX. Unfortunately De Costa a Costa is no longer serving breakfast. Not surprising since you may remember we were the only ones there that morning.

      Delete
  3. How do you subscribe to your blog, to get future postings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, I don't know. I told you I was a dinosaur.
      However I post something almost every day, sometimes twice a day, especially when I am travelling.

      Delete