city at night

city at night

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Trans-Oceanic Conversations

Even though I am in Mexico, I have continued to stay in contact with my European cousins through Skype.  In fact they were eager to see my apartment in Mexico and to meet Alejandro and his family.

The weekend after my arrival, I chatted with Helen, the wife of my Swiss cousin Walter.  (In Spanish she is my "prima política"... my "cousin-in-law".)  She speaks quite good Spanish, because in her youth she was an exchange student in Mexico.  She had previously met Alejandro through Skype, but this time she was able to meet Alejandro's father, sister and nephew.

I have chatted with my Swiss cousin Brigitta and her husband Peter twice since I have arrived in Mexico.  The first time I was at the apartment and I gave them a tour of my Mexico City home-away-from-home.

They called again on Skype on Sunday while I was at Alejandro's house.  They have already met Alejandro, but they wanted to meet his family.  They all greeted each other, although there was not much further conversation since Brigitta and Peter don't speak Spanish and the family doesn't speak English.  Well, Ezra should have practiced his English with them a bit, but he is shy.


Yesterday I had a Skype call from my English cousin, Kevin.  He has never met Alejandro, so he was eager to make his acquaintance.  Alejandro told him that someday, when the world has returned to some semblance of normalcy, Kevin and his wife Sue should come visit Mexico.


 

2 comments: