from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Russian Lunch

 I can't remember exactly when, but quite a few trips ago I made a special trip to the Mexico City neighborhood of Santa María la Ribera for the express purpose of eating at a rather unique place, a Russian restaurant called Kolobok.  I remember the food as being quite good and a nice break from Mexican fare.

Apparently Kolobok was quite successful because they now have several branches throughout the city.  I was surprised to find one of them just a few blocks away from my apartment in the neighborhood of Nápoles.  And they had outdoor seating!


So, one afternoon I walked over there for lunch.  I started with borscht, the well known Slavic beet soup.


The borsht was very tasty, but I found it interesting that it was listed on the menu as a vegetarian dish when there were definitely some chunks of meat in the soup.  I didn't mind, but a vegetarian would have been upset.

For the main course I had chicken stroganoff.


The stroganoff was tasty, but, as you see above, the mashed potatoes and salad took up half the plate.  There were around a half dozen chunks of chicken. 

For dessert I ordered their specialty, honey cake.  That was as good as I remember from the original restaurant in Santa María de Ribera.



The meal was good, but not spectacular, and not a very good value when you consider that it cost as much or more than the excellent meals that I have had at El Cardenal or Angelopolitano.  I don't think that I will be returning to this branch of Kolobok.

No comments:

Post a Comment