from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, April 8, 2021

Trying to be Friends

Yesterday, when I arrived at Mexico City airport, Alejandro met me and drove me to his house where I will spend several days.  

I was immediately greeted by the family's new dog, Iztac, with fierce and incessant barking.


They got Iztac as a puppy shortly after I left Mexico the last time in February, 2020, and just before the pandemic began in earnest.  She is a pit bull, which gave me a bit of worry.  I know that a pit bull's temperament depends upon the way it is raised.   However, during her year of life coinciding with the pandemic, I am the very first outsider to enter the house and invade her territory.

Alejandro took Iztac for a walk, and I went along.  The dog continued to bark at me.  Then Alejandro put his arm around me to show Iztac that I was a friend, not an enemy.  She suddenly quieted down.  


I was able to pet her, and Alejandro gave me the leash for a while. 

During our walk Iztac was visited by her "boyfriend" Pietro, the dog of a nearby shopkeeper.  Pietro always comes out to play with Iztac when they pass by.  (Not to worry; Iztac has already been "fixed".)


I thought that all was well; that Iztac and I were now friends.  But as soon as we returned from our walk she started barking again.  As fierce as she seems, Iztac has not tried to attack me or bite me.  When I put out my hand she lets me pet her.  And while I was seated on the sofa, she jumped up and started licking my face. But whenever I am not making direct contact with her, she goes into guard dog mode and barks, and barks, and barks. 

I just hope that I soon become accepted by her as a member of the household so that we can all have some peace and quiet!

   

4 comments:

  1. So you're back! Good for you, dude, I'm sure your heart is contented now and don't worry, Iztac has to be true to her temper but she'll recognize you as one of the family pretty soon. I'm very glad you're in Mexico City and wish you a wonderful stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tino. It is good to be back, and most of all to be here with Alejandro and his family.
      Gradually, Iztac is barking at me less frequently. I hope that soon I will be able to walk around the house without setting her off on a fit of barking.

      Delete
  2. Jess and Tom's pit bull mix is sweet dog who rarely barks, but she seeks our attention constantly, since after the boys were born, she slid down several pegs. She will lay on our feet to keep us near her. It's the licking our hands that I can't abide. I'll bet Iztac will learn to like you because you are so good to the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The barking has become less frequent. This morning there were only a couple of barks when I went upstairs for my shower. Iztac has never tried to bite me, not even in play (which she does sometimes with Alejandro).

      Delete