city at night

city at night

Friday, April 2, 2021

Making "Food-hey"

It is not Christmas time (although the April 1st snow made it look quite wintry), but yesterday I got out the double boiler and made a batch of my cherry fudge to take down to Mexico.  There really is no word in Spanish for fudge, so Alejandro jokingly gives the word a Spanish pronunciation and says "food-hey".



Forgive me if I have told you this story before...   

The first time I took fudge down to Alejandro's family, his little nephew Ezra tasted it and declared that it tasted like "salmón podrido" (rotten salmon).   I have no idea how that little fellow would know what rotten salmon tastes like.  However he must have developed a taste for putrid fish because on subsequent trips he would look forward to my fudge.  Some years later, on one of Alejandro's visits to the U.S., he and I took an excursion to Mackinac Island, Michigan, which is renowned for its fudge shops.   Alejandro bought some to take home with him.  When Ezra wasn't eating the Mackinac fudge, Alejandro asked him why.  His nephew replied that it wasn't as good as Bill's fudge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment