from airplane

from airplane

Monday, April 19, 2021

Tamales for Breakfast

The previous Sunday at Alejandro's house, I wrote that we had "tacos de barbacoa" for breakfast.  Yesterday morning Alejandro went out and bought tamales from a vendor who sets up a big steamer near the the parish church every Sunday.

Tamales (the singular is "tamal") are made of corn "masa" or dough with a filling made from all kinds of  ingredients.  The "tamal" is wrapped in a corn husk and steamed.  Of course you take off the husk before eating it.


 The fillings can be either savory or sweet.  Alejandro got a variety of tamales.  There were some savory ones with pork in a very spicy green sauce.  About half of them were sweet tamales, and I had a couple kinds that I had never tasted before.

There were some pineapple tamales...


...and chocolate tamales, something that I had never heard of before.



I had four tamales, and they were all very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment