city at night

city at night

Friday, April 16, 2021

Dinner at "El Cardenal"

I wrote yesterday that even though I am fully vaccinated, I still do not feel comfortable eating inside a restaurant.  I was very happy to see the one of my favorite restaurants, "El Cardenal" had added outside tables.

I have written frequently here about "El Cardenal".  It is a chain of restaurants whose mission is to preserve the traditions of Mexican cuisine.  The oldest branch, just a block away from the Cathedral in the "Centro Histórico", is a delightfully atmospheric place in an ornate French-style, 19th century building.  I have also eaten in the modern branch located in the Hilton Hotel across from the Alameda Park.  I was excited when it was announced that another branch would open in the neighborhood of Nápoles, just a five minute walk from the apartment that I rent.  At all of the locations the food has been consistently excellent, and the service friendly and efficient.  

Late Tuesday afternoon, I walked over to the restaurant, and one of the outside tables was free.  All the staff wear masks and face shields.  My temperature was taken, and I was given a squirt of hand sanitizer before being seated.  

The menu is on paper and is an abbreviated version of the usual bill of fare.  Nevertheless there were a number of dishes whetted my appetite.  

To begin I had "fideos al chipotle", thin noodles with a chipotle chile sauce.  To drink I had a refreshing water flavored with cucumber and lime.


 

My main course was a chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese and topped with an excellent red mole.  It was served with rice and a container of home-made tortillas.  (You have to have tortillas to sop up the mole!)



Fortunately my favorite desert was still on the menu... a crepe filled with cream cheese and covered with mango and blackberry sauces!


My bill came to 470 pesos ($23 U.S.)... not cheap by Mexican standards, but a bargain by U.S. standards.  In Mexico, 15% is considered a good tip.  However given the rough time that this pandemic has been for wait staff, I intend to always tip a minimum of 20% on this trip.  I left my waiter a 100 peso bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment