from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, April 22, 2021

City of Flowers

Mexico City is a humungous mega-metropolis with a population of more than 21 million people.  But the Mexicans' love of flowers is evident because you do not have to venture far to find something blossoming in this concrete jungle.

The jacaranda trees are a bit past their prime, but they are still gracing the city with their purple flowers.




 

Bougainvillea seem to blossom all year long.




The following pictures were taken along the Ecoducto, a bit of nature created along the median of one of the city's busy freeways.







I saw these unusual flowers at the entrance to an apartment building.



I was told the name of these delicate, orchid-like flowers, but I have forgotten.  You will see them all over the city.




Hibiscus




Oleander




Yucca




I don't know the name of these flowers in Spanish, but in English they are often referred to as bear's breeches.   You will see them in many of the city's parks.



If the flowers growing naturally are not enough, throughout the city you will find colorful flower stands selling a variety of blooms.




4 comments:

  1. Great pics! Whenever I return to CDMX - hopefully this November, now that I am fully-vaccinated - I plan on walking the entire Ecoducto.

    Hope you are doing well and minding winter's last blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the Ecoducto were longer. As it is I don't think it's more than 2 miles.
      Glad to hear that you are fully vaccinated and have hopes to return to CDMX in November. Now that I am back to my usual routine of traveling to CDMX, November is a time when I am usually down here. Maybe we can get meet up.
      Winter's (hopefully) last blast doesn't affect me. I am here in CDMX where the temperatures have been over 80 degrees daily!

      Delete
  2. One thing I enjoy in my travels is seeing the flowers unique to each place. Jacaranda is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jacarandas are beautiful, although they are messy trees. My favorites are the bougainvillea.

      Delete