city at night

city at night

Friday, April 23, 2021

My Favorite Place

 On Wednesday I made a trip to the Anthropology Museum which is once again open.  (I will write a couple entries about that visit later.)  I decided to walk back to the apartment, a trek of about 3.5 miles.  When I came to Puebla Street, I thought, my very favorite restaurant is just around the corner.  And there it was... Angelopolitano... and there was outside seating!  If you have read this blog for some time you may remember my frequent rave reviews of the traditional cuisine from Puebla that is served here.



It was around three o'clock, so I decided I might as well have my mid-afternoon dinner here.  The hostess at the door recognized me in spite of my face-mask and my absence of more than a year.  She was glad to see me once again.

I was seated at one of the outside tables, and given a menu.  It was printed on paper, but the bill of fare did not seem to have been abbreviated during the pandemic.  They still have the scrumptious "chiles en nogada", but I decided that it was too hot for such a rich dish.

But before deciding on a main dish I ordered a refreshing "agua" of lime and spearmint to drink and cream of "poblano" soup as a starter.  They still bring a basket of home made bread with a spicy peanut sauce.



One of my favorite dishes here is "champandongo" which the menu describes as a distant relative of lasagna.  It consists of layers of tortillas and shredded chicken topped off with "mole".  However they now have on the menu several variations of "champandongo", and I decided to try it with green sauce instead of "mole".



It was delicious, although I think that I still prefer the original version with "mole".  Their "mole poblano" is perhaps the best that I have ever had.

Alejandro loves this restaurant too, so perhaps this weekend we can make a return visit.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the lovely dinner that Annette and I had with you and Aleckz. I'm glad Angelopolitano survived Covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would have been very sad if Angelopolitano had not survived.

      Delete