from airplane

from airplane

Friday, April 16, 2021

Breakfast at "El Cardenal"

In my previous post I wrote about my dinner at "El Cardenal", one of my favorite restaurants in Mexico City.  The breakfasts there are extremely popular.  In addition to their delicious breakfast entrees, they are well known for their freshly baked breads and their hot chocolate.  Normally, there has always been a long line waiting for a table in the morning.  I asked my waiter at dinner if that was still true.  He said that sometimes there is a crowd on the weekends, but not on weekdays.  So the next morning, at around 9:00 I walked over to "El Cardenal", and sure enough one of the outdoor tables was available.  At that hour it was still a bit chilly, but I was wearing a light jacket, and breakfast outdoors was delightful.

The waiter asked me if wanted if I wanted coffee or hot chocolate.  "¡Chocolate, por favor!"  He came with a jug of hot chocolate and used a "molinillo", a wooden whisk, to create a froth before pouring the beverage into my cup.  Another waiter came with a basket of "pan dulce"... the sweet breads that are traditional for breakfast or the light, late-evening supper.  I had a cinnamon raisin roll.  I also ordered freshly squeezed mango juice.

For my main course I had "enchiladas de cochinita pibil", enchiladas with the typical shredded pork of the Yucatán.


It was a delicious and hearty breakfast.   As the old saying goes... "Barriga llena, corazón contento."... "Full belly, happy heart."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment