zocalo

zocalo

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Whew!

 


Before the sale of the house can go through, it has to pass an inspection.  That was really worrying me, because the house is over 70 years old.  I was imagining all sorts of scenarios in which the inspector found major problems that would hold up the sale and cost me loads of money.  Worry-wort that I am, my stomach was tied in knots fretting about the results. 

The inspector came last Friday accompanied by the buyers' realtor.  I left the house and ran a couple of errands.  Then I went over to my friend Gayle's house to kill some more time.  Shortly after I arrived, my cell phone rang.  It was my realtor.  He said that we have a "situation".  My heart sank.  "The inspector can't get the furnace to come on."  I said I was only five minutes away, and that I would come right over.  By the time I got there he had the furnace running.  I suppose it was slow to start because it had not been used all summer.  (Yesterday, we had a very chilly night, and I turned the thermostat up.  The furnace came on immediately with no problem.)

The inspector was done with his work and said that there were only a few very minor problems.  (I suppose that I will receive the list from my realtor on Monday.)  I felt as if a ton of bricks had been taken off my shoulders.

I also had the opportunity to meet the young couple that are buying my house.  They seem very nice.  They have been looking for a house for months, but every time that they put in an offer, they were outbid.  They liked my house better than any of the others that they had seen, so they are thrilled that their offer has been accepted.  The wife enjoys working in the garden.  Well, next spring she will have her work cut out for her, since this summer I have not had the time or inclination to work in the garden at all.  The husband is of one quarter Mexican ancestry, so he loved the Mexican influence in the decor of my house.  So, it really seems like it was meant to be, a "win-win" situation for us all.  I sold my house in an incredibly short time, and the buyers seem perfectly suited for the place that has been my home since I was three years old.

2 comments: