zocalo

zocalo

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Searching for a Home

No, this post has nothing to do with real estate.  It's about finding a home for something that I do not want to just throw in the trash.

Many years ago, my high school Spanish teacher, who was like an adopted mother to me, gave me a box of antique postcards that belonged to her grandfather.

His name was John Schneider.  He was born in Germany and immigrated to the United States in the late19th century.  He became a brewmaster and eventually settled in Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked for the Schlather Brewing Company, at that time the largest brewery in Cleveland.



The owner of the brewery, Leonard Schlather, was also born in Germany and had become a very wealthy man from the success of his brewery.  He and his wife traveled extensively, and Schlather frequently sent postcards to Schneider.  The cards in the box all date from the first years of the 20th century, and many were from Schlather's trips to faraway places.  The messages on the cards were always written in German.


A few of the postcards...  (clockwise from upper left) the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem, the Hofbrau House in Munich, Germany, and the Plaza Navona in Rome, Italy.

There were also several postcards sent from the St. Louis World's Fair of 1904.



I have been trying to find a home for these postcards.  I called the Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland, left a message.  I did not hear back from them.  I went to the Berea Historical Society, and, although the lady found them very interesting, they were not something that they would want for their collection.  (Understandable, since the connection to Berea is very tenuous... that fact that they belonged to a long-time faculty member of Berea High School.)  Then a lady from the Western Reserve Historical Society finally called me back.  Although they did not want the cards, she gave me some suggestions.  The Schlather Brewery was located on the site where the Great Lakes Brewing Company stands today.  She said that they might have an interest.  Also, Schlather built a mansion in the Cleveland suburb of Rocky River.  The Rocky River Historical Society or Rocky River Library might accept the cards.

I will give those places a call this week.  However, with my move to Mexico, I am very busy.  I don't have the time to search much more.  If those places do not want the postcards, I will, as Alejandro suggested when we Skyped last night, simply pack them in my suitcase and take them with me to Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment