zocalo

zocalo

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Leftovers from the Last Trip

As I was looking through my files, I realized that there were a few pictures from my last trip to Mexico that I had not posted.  Here are a couple of photos of a meal we had toward the end of my stay.  (Alejandro took the pictures since I did not have my camera at hand.)

For dinner one day Alejandro's sister bought some "tlacoyos", a dish that I really like and have even made at home.  A "tlacoyo" is made from "masa" (corn meal dough) and filled with beans.  It is then fried and usually topped with beans, chopped onion, salsa and "crema" (similar to our sour cream).  They are so tasty!



For dessert we had something that I had never had before, even after countless trips to Mexico... "camotes" (sweet potatoes) from a street vendor.  If you have spent much time in Mexico (or at in least Mexico City) you have probably heard the unforgettable sound of the "camote" vendor passing down the street on his bicycle cart.  When steam from the steamer filled with sweet potatoes is released it produces a distinctive whistle.  It is a very eerie sound, especially when the vendor is passing down the street late at night.  Anyway, even though I had heard the whistle of the vendors countless times, I had never eaten any of their "camotes".  On this occasion, Alejandro went out to the street and bought sweet potatoes for us all.


They are covered with brown sugar, and they are quite good.

It was definitely a very, very Mexican meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment