zocalo

zocalo

Monday, September 18, 2023

Appreciated

As I mentioned the husband of the couple that bought my house is one quarter Mexican.  He said that he liked the Mexican influence of the decor, and, in particular, he mentioned the Mayan carvings in my office.

On the doors of the storage cabinets, there are woodcarvings that I bought on one of my trips to Yucatán.  I found them in the workshop of a woodcarver in the town of Izamal, about 40 miles to the east Mérida.


 

On the doors of the cabinets above my computer station, there are smaller carvings which I found at the Mayan archaeological site of Labná.  If I remember correctly, the father of the fellow who was the caretaker of the site was a woodcarver.  The son was selling his father's work at the entrance to the ruins.  Each carving is a Mayan glyph and means something in the ancient Mayan writing system.



My realtor later admitted to me that he had his doubts about those carvings, and even I wondered whether the new owner would take them off the doors.  But as it turned out, they were a selling point that endeared the house to the buyer.

4 comments:

  1. They are lovely! I SO hope the new owners enjoy them as much as you have. Synchronicity! Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lived in this house since I was three years old, but I think the new owners are the perfect match for this house and will enjoy the Mexican touches that I have added to the house.

      Delete
  2. It was meant to be! Congrats. I hope ours sells just as fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that it was meant to be. Are you planning on selling your home soon? My realtor said that none of the homes he has dealt with have been on the market for more than a week, which surprises me given the rise in interest rates.

      Delete