city at night

city at night

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

To Market, To Market

Yesterday I decided to drive to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.  My destination was Szaylay's Farm Market, located within the park.



The business began in 1931 as a vegetable farm, long before the national park was created.  They later specialized in sweet corn and opened a farm market with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables.  

Even though it is still too early in the season for most home-grown crops, the market was filled with produce, most likely shipped in from elsewhere.  They even had sweet corn, probably grown in the South, since August is the time for Ohio corn.



However, the strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, as well as the rhubarb are in season, and are probably locally grown.


I didn't drive thirty miles from home to buy vegetables.  I came to buy some jars of Ohio specialty products to take to Alejandro's family in Mexico City... things that are not available in Mexican supermarkets.



So, what did I buy to take to Mexico?


I bought a jar of wild blueberry spread, made on the Szaylay's farm, a jar of apple butter from Ohio Amish Country, and a container of pure Ohio maple syrup.  Ohio may not be as well-known for its maple syrup as Canada or Vermont, but we produce 65,000 gallons of syrup each year.  I also wanted to buy a jar of horseradish, but the market didn't have any.  I know I can buy it in any supermarket up here, but I thought they might have some that was made in Ohio. 

I also bought a few items for myself...


I got a jar of Vidalia Onion Relish, made in Bucyrus, Ohio, and some avocado tomatillo salsa made at Szalay's Farm (although obviously they didn't grow their own avocados).  I also bought a package of dried apricots.  

Now I will have to buy some bubble wrap for the jars that will go in my suitcase when I go to Mexico. 



2 comments:

  1. Heinen's carries many Cleveland and Ohio products marked so on the shelves. Also, Gibbs has a lot of Ohio Amish products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I will have to check those out.

    ReplyDelete