from airplane

from airplane

Saturday, June 11, 2022

That Was Quick

I previously wrote that I had received my new passport on Thursday.  I had also ordered a passport card, but, according to the U.S. State Department website, that would arrive later in a separate mailing.  So, I was a bit surprised when another envelope from the U.S. government arrived in my mailbox yesterday.  I received my passport card just one day after my passport book.


The card, which looks much like a driver's license, contains an RFID chip.  The chip does not contain personal information, just a pointer to records within a secure government database.  Nevertheless, a protective sleeve is provided in which to keep the card.  

The passport card is good only for travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.  It cannot be used for international air travel.  However, as I explained yesterday, I wanted the card because travelers to Mexico are supposed to carry their passport at all times.  The card is a lot easier to carry than the passport book.  I have not heard of any instances of the police checking for passports in Mexico City, but apparently there have been a few cases in some of the beach resort cities where tourists were asked to produce their passport.

Now we will see how long before they return my old passport in a separate mailing.  Perhaps it will be in today's mail.   

No comments:

Post a Comment