city at night

city at night

Friday, June 10, 2022

Early Delivery

I wrote several weeks ago that my first chore after returning home from Mexico was to renew my passport.  It was going to expire in December of this year, and since this is the longest stretch of time that I am at home, this was the time to send in my old passport and my renewal application.  I paid extra for expedited processing, because otherwise it might have been cutting it close for my next trip in August.  Even with expedited processing, the U.S. State Department website said that it would be five to seven weeks before I receive my new passport.

So, yesterday, when I went to the mailbox, I was pleasantly surprised to see a priority mail envelope.  My passport had arrived!


I had been tracking the progress on the website.  They had received my application on May 16th, so it only took three and a half weeks instead of at least five. 

On the outside, the passport looks the same, but inside it is quite different.  There are several new security features.  The photo page is thick and encased in plastic.  A transparent U.S. coat of arms as well as security artwork are on my photo.  The letters USA on the photo page shift from gold to green when you tilt the passport.  Each of the pages has a watermark of the U.S. coat of arm which can be seen when held to the light, and the passport number is perforated on every page of the document. 

I had also ordered a passport card.  Supposedly, all tourists in Mexico must carry their passports with them at all times.  Sorry, Mexican government, but there is no way that I am going to carry my passport with me and risk losing it.  It is always hidden away in a safe place while I am down there.  The passport card, however, will fit in my wallet, and since I use a biker wallet with a chain attached to my belt, my chances of being pickpocketed are slim (knock on wood).  If a policeman should ever ask to see my ID, I will have my passport card with me.  The card, as well as my old passport, will arrive soon in a separate mailing.

I can now legally travel internationally once again!

2 comments:

  1. Fred here. Bill, did you see that Covid tests are no longer required to enter the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just read that last night.

      Delete