from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

A Life-Changing Decision

For years I have considered moving to Mexico.  For a while I wanted to live in Mérida, the capital of the state of Yucatán.  It is a delightful city, but it is TOO darn hot, muggy and buggy in the summer.  When Herr Pendejo was elected, I said that I did not want to live in the U.S. anymore.  As it turned out I chickened out, but I did start spending almost half the year in Mexico City.  

Now I am very fearful for the future of the U.S.  I fear that Herr Pendejo will be elected again, or the Florida Pendejo, who could prove to be even more dangerous to our constitutional republic.  Even if the Democrats win in the next Presidential election (they REALLY need to come up with a younger candidate), we will still be under an ultra-right-wing Supreme Court whose influence will probably be felt for several more decades.

I came to a decision that it was time for me to get the heck out of here and finally make the move to Mexico. Besides, I am reaching the age where it is time to downsize, and I am beginning to feel like a slave to my garden.  Life is so hectic during the months that I am in Ohio.   My calendar is full, and I find myself constantly looking forward to being able to slow down and relax on my next trip south of the border. 

The prospect of moving is very daunting to me.  I have lived in the same house since my parents bought this place when I was three years old.  I have NEVER in my adult life experienced moving.  It is, quite frankly, frightening.  But I figure, most people in the U.S. move several times during their lifetime, and they survive the ordeal.  Moving to another country is even more challenging.  However, there are around one million U.S. ex-pats living in Mexico, and, again, they have survived those challenges.  Many of them are not as familiar with the country, its culture, idiosyncrasies, and language as I am.  So, even though I am afraid, I keep telling myself that this is a move that I can and must make. 

A few weeks ago, when I had basically decided to make the move, I ordered several books about retirement in Mexico.


I garnered some useful information from the books, but, in general, they were disappointing.  Half of the pages were devoted to where in Mexico one should retire, and I already know where I want to be... Mexico City.

If you have followed this blog for a while, you know that I was extremely fortunate in finding the apartment that I have been renting down there.  Someone that I know, was friends with a couple that lives in Chicago, but has a condo in Mexico City.  The husband is Mexican and used to be a pilot with Mexicana Airlines.  After Mexicana Airlines went bankrupt in 2010, the condo sat empty most of the time for years.  They were reluctant to rent out the condo, but I was highly recommended.  They were, I think, a bit hesitant, but they agreed to let me rent their Mexico City place.  They were also willing to charge me only for the months that I am there.  It was an ideal situation for us both.  They know now that they have a very responsible tenant who takes good care of the apartment.  I make life easier for them by paying the condo fees and real estate taxes which they then deduct from my rent.  The apartment is very comfortable and attractive, fully furnished, and located in a great part of the city.  I have truly grown to think of it as my other home.

Of course, I knew that sooner or later they would decide to sell the condo.  Before the pandemic they mentioned that they would sell it when the husband retired.  They asked me if I would be interested in buying it.  At that point I said "no".  The pandemic put their plans on hold for a while, but the husband will retire at the end of this year.  I talked to the wife on the phone the other day and told her that I would be interested in buying the condo.  She said that they would be delighted to sell it to me at a good price.  I don't know yet what they will ask for it.  I hope that it will be a price that I can afford.  I also asked her if they plan on leaving the furniture there.  She said everything, right down to the bed linens and dinnerware would be left in place.  Wonderful!  That means I don't have to worry about moving all my furniture down there.  I can simply ship the items I really want to keep and liquidate the rest of the contents of my house up here. 

This is not going to happen overnight.  I figure that it will be a year or two before I have everything squared away, and I am ready to make the move.  Until then, I will continue to split my time between Mexico City and Ohio, as I have done for the last several years.

I really can't believe that I am doing this.  It's probably the most daring thing that I have done in my safe, predictable life.  I am nervous, but I am also excited!

   


16 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you too! Compared to most people, it should be an easy transition for you. I would love to get out too. Unless something is done to change the makeup of the Supreme Court or reverse gerrymandering, it looks like the US is headed toward minority rule by conservative Christians for at least the next 30 years. I'm angry that we're headed backwards and I fear what rights are going to be stripped away next....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith. So, any chance that you and Chuck will become ex-pats too? I know a number of people who are considering a move out of the country.
      Anyway, once I have made the move, you two are definitely going to have to come and visit me in Mexico City. It is completely different from Mérida, but for all its faults, I find it endlessly fascinating. I've given "the tour" to various people, and they have all thoroughly enjoyed Mexico City.

      Delete
    2. We would love to, but it might take some time since we're both still working, and neither of us have jobs that are probably in high demand overseas

      Delete
    3. (That was me. I just forgot to change my name before posting)

      Delete
    4. I still hope that you can come for a visit in Mexico City sometime.

      Delete
    5. Most definitely! We would love that!

      Delete
  2. Long-time reader, first time-commenter. I just wanted to say congrats, I'm thrilled you're doing this, and as someone who sold everything to live on Airbnb 10 years ago (and did so for 3 years and 10+ locations around the world), it's entirely doable. It's even doable remotely: pack up or store the things you want, move, and let your realtor empty, prep, and sell the house.

    You've already done the big prep item, since you're moving somewhere that you've already spent a lot of time. You know what it's like to live there. So, relax, don't feel like you need to get everything lined up first or sweat every last detail, and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment and your moral support. A very good neighbor of mine is a realtor, so I am sure that he will be able to guide me through the process.
      ¡Muchas gracias!

      Delete
  3. I agree with the above commenter~ CONGRATULATIONS! I was wondering if you would ever come to that decision. When I found the two houses to rent in SMA in 2000, it took me FIVE months to sell my business and my home with all its contents. You are so lucky that you have a place already in mind to buy and yoy know the "lay of the land". I will say it is easier to rent then to own but it will all work out for you! Yippee...........I have NEVER in 22 years regretted my decision. Bienvenidos! If I can be of any help please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. I will no doubt be writing to you asking for your advice on various things.

      Delete
    2. Happy to help in any way possible!

      Delete
    3. ¡Gtacias!

      Delete
  4. Wow-that is big and great news-very happy for you. With your experiences and contacts in CDMX, you should have a pretty smooth move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chuck! I hope so!

      Delete
  5. Wish I could go with you. I have a brand new niece and I'm afraid for her. I'm afraid for all my babies at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are truly living in scary times.

      Delete