from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Hurray!

 I am writing this from Alejandro's house, so that should tell you that things have gone well.

However everything did not go according to plan.  You may remember that I wrote a couple days ago that I had purchased a home-testing kit at a store down here.  It was a blood test (somewhat similar to the kind of test that you use to test blood sugar by pricking your finger) rather than the test with a swab that you stick up your nose.  I opened the box, read the directions, and discovered that the test would be useless for Alejandro (or even for me).  The test detects antibodies in the blood.  Since Alejandro has been both vaccinated and infected, he should have plenty of antibodies.  I called him and told him.  So, yesterday afternoon, he went to a private lab not far from his house, and got a second test.   Within an hour he had received the results...

Negative!

So now with two negative tests, we can rest assured that he is no long contagious.

Meanwhile, I went to have another test, just to be super-cautious before being with Alejandro's family.  I told you previously that a private lab had set up a testing site in a park just a few blocks from my apartment.  I walked over there, but, as luck would have it, there was a line of about ten people waiting to get a test.   I got in line and waited for about ten minutes, but we did not seem to be moving.  Even though we were outdoors, masked, and spaced apart, I did not feel comfortable.  The woman behind me was coughing, and telling her mother on her cellphone how tired she was.   I took off, and went to another lab that was about a twenty minute walk away.  

There were very few people there, and I was attended to almost immediately.   In less than five minutes I was called in for the test.  They told me that they would email me my results in two hours.  I went back to the apartment, and in less than two hours I received the email... negative!

In the early evening Alejandro arrived at my apartment.  I had fixed him some dinner... his sense of taste is gradually returning... and then we drove back to his place where I will spend several nights.  It was great to be with my Mexican family, even if it was two weeks later than planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment