from airplane

from airplane

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Get in Line

This past week there have been long lines of people outside of the Mexico City World Trade Center.  A taxi driver told me that they were waiting to get their COVID vaccination.  I assumed that they were waiting to get their booster shot, but Alejandro told me, "No". They are people who had missed their initial vaccinations last year when it was their appointed time.  And after looking more closely at the crowd, I realized that Alejandro was right.  At this point booster shots are only being given to people over 40, and much of this crowd was under that age.

I do not know if Friday was the last day for vaccinations here, but the crowd was exceptionally large yesterday.  When I left my apartment on Friday morning, a long line had already formed outside the entrance to the Pepsi Center, a concert venue which is part of the World Trade Center.  The line stretched down the street.



When I returned to my apartment around 3:00 in the afternoon the line stretched around the corner, all the way along the back side of the World Trade Center, around another corner and along Insurgentes Avenue.

I took a photo of a Google Maps image on my laptop and then drew in a blue line to show you how long the queue was.




If they had registered and got their shots at the appointed time for their age group, they would not have had to wait in such a horrendous line.  But at least they are finally getting vaccinated.



No comments:

Post a Comment