city at night

city at night

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Flying Down to Mexico - The First Leg

Since I have a three-hour layover in Houston, I figured that I would pass some time writing an entry about the first leg of my journey.  And I did not forget my camera this time, so I have photos from the flight!

It was extremely cold this morning in Cleveland, Ohio, with temperatures in the teens.  However, there was no snow, at least not on my side of town.  Frank, my friend who house-sits for me, drove me to the airport.  After the large number of flight cancellations due to COVID and winter storms, I was relieved to see that my flight was scheduled to leave on time.  In fact, I did not notice any cancellations on the board.

At seven o'clock on a Tuesday morning the airport was rather quiet.  There was no line at all to get through security.  I had booked a first-class ticket with my frequent flyer miles, so I was able to relax and read a while in the United Club lounge.

There did not seem to be many people boarding the flight, although the first-class section was full.  We pulled away from the gate right on time, and we didn't even have to wait on the runway for our turn to take off.



Looking down as we took off, you could see the Cleveland International Exposition Center.  The building was originally the Cleveland Bomber Plant where the wing assemblies for B-29 bombers were built during World War II.


Within moments we were flying over the Cleveland suburbs of Berea and Olmsted Falls.  My house is down there.

The flight was pleasantly uneventful.  (There were no idiots refusing to wear a mask!)  I actually managed to snooze for a half hour, something I usually cannot do on a plane.  I then completed the New York Times crossword puzzle in the in-flight magazine and an easy Sudoku puzzle.  By that time the pilot announced that we were beginning our descent into the Houston area.



Next stop, Mexico City!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment