from airplane

from airplane

Friday, January 14, 2022

Eating In

 


Mexico City is considered a foodie's paradise.  While I don't consider myself a "foodie", I do love the enormous variety of restaurants here.  Within walking distance of my apartment there are numerous places where I like to eat.  

On Tuesday, the day that I arrived, I was famished since I had not eaten all day.  I went to "El Huequito", a "taquería" a couple blocks away.  I had a big dinner of Aztec soup, tacos, and fried plantain in cream for dessert.

Wednesday morning I went to one of my favorite restaurants, "El Cardenal" for a hearty breakfast of enchiladas, along with a pastry, hot chocolate and mandarin orange juice.

However, I cannot continue eating out all the time.  I gained weight over the holidays, and if I indulge myself daily for the seven weeks that I am here, I will gain even more.  So I decided that I was going to eat most of my meals in the apartment.  I went to the supermarket to stock up on some groceries, and to the public market to buy some fruits as well as the unsalted cashews that I like for a healthy snack.

I am sort of limited in what I can prepare here.  The kitchen in the apartment is fully equipped.  However, the stove has to be pulled out to turn on the gas.  It is a rather strange set-up. The stove is suspended from the kitchen counter, so it is almost impossible for me to pull it out by myself. (This is really the only thing that I don't like this apartment.) 

Breakfast is not a problem.  I have a bowl of raisin bran with a banana, an avocado, and a container of yogurt.  But for dinner, it's a large salad (which is what I've had the last two nights) or something that I can heat up in the microwave.  Tonight I'm going to throw together something with tuna.  One thing that I found at the supermarket that I have never had before was a bag of cauliflower rice.  The bag doesn't give any instructions.  I'll have to look on the internet and see if I can find any ideas.

Ah, but tomorrow morning, the cleaning lady comes.  So I have a perfect excuse to go out to a restaurant for breakfast.  After all, I cannot deny myself completely in this city of glorious food!     

2 comments:

  1. You're lucky that you have laudable cooking skills. We Martis don't like to go hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how laudable my cooking skills are. What I made last night... a can of tuna, a can of garbanzos, some green sauce, some cheese and a mashed avocado... looked like a bowl of slop. But it tasted pretty good.

      Delete