city at night

city at night

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

One Day to Go

 


At this time tomorrow I will be on my way to Mexico City.  Today will be devoted to the last minute chores in preparation for my departure.

On this trip I will be taking only carry-on luggage.  (As you know, I have clothes at Alejandro's house and at the condo that I rent.)  The roller bag is filled with gifts for Alejandro's family.  It has been packed for more than a week.  Today I have to prepare my backpack which is filled with personal items such as my laptop, a good supply of N95 masks, my medicines, and a couple books to read.  My clothes for tomorrow are already set out along with my wallet and my passport pouch.

I have been traveling to Mexico City at this time of year since before I started writing this blog.  The trip coincides with the Day of the Dead celebration.  I do not plan to attend the big parade.  It has become a victim of its own popularity, and, even if the pandemic were not an issue, waiting for hours along the parade route along with more than a million other spectators has lost its appeal.  Unfortunately, the smaller parade of "alebrijes", which I always enjoyed, appears to have merged with the big parade.  There will, however, be other sights related to the Day of the Dead which do not involve standing in a humungous crowd.  The enormous "ofrendas" (altars in honor of the dead) will be set up on the main plaza.  According to what I have read, the "ofrendas" will represent each of the "alcaldías", or boroughs, of the city.  There will also be a competition among businesses and museums in the historic center for the best "ofrenda".  The "Mexicraneos"... giant skulls, each one individually painted by a different artist... will once again grace the main boulevard, the Paseo de la Reforma.  So, there should still be plenty to see. 

¡Hasta luego, amigos!

2 comments: