city at night

city at night

Friday, October 1, 2021

Public Transport

Usually when I am in Mexico City, I use public transport constantly.  The Metro (subway) and the Metrobus can take me almost anywhere that I wish to go.  However, now, during the pandemic, I have been wary about using either one.  Although they are inexpensive and efficient, the Metro and Metrobus can be packed with passengers like the proverbial can of sardines.  On my latest two trips I would either take a taxi (the driver is separated from the passenger by a plastic shield) or I would walk.

I took a taxi to get to the Soumaya Museum which I described in my previous post.  But when I left the museum, oddly enough, there was no taxi stand nearby.  It was raining lightly, and all of the taxis traveling along the street were occupied.  So I started to make the 5.5 mile trek to my apartment on foot.  Fortunately I was wearing my rain jacket.

I had crossed the entire neighborhood of Polanco and had reached the Paseo de la Reforma, Mexico City's most famous boulevard.  I was now in familiar territory but still a long way from my place.  Then I saw the "Auditorio" Metro, one of the stations along Line 7 of the subway.  It is a relatively short line, and usually does not get extremely crowded.  It was not rush hour, and only three stops from there is the Metro station closest to my apartment.  So I decided to chance it.

As I said, this line is usually not very crowded, but when I entered it was eerily quiet.



In this station, at this moment, the markers on the floor to tell waiting passengers to keep a safe distance were not necessary.


When the train arrived, there were probably fewer than a dozen people in the car.  Everyone was wearing face masks properly, except for one guy with his mask below his nose (what I refer to as a screen door in a submarine).  I got off at the San Pedro de los Pinos Station, and from there it was a fifteen minute walk to my apartment.  In this particular instance I felt OK using public transportation.


A sign in the station tells people "not to let down their guard".

No comments:

Post a Comment