city at night

city at night

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Breakfast at "El Cardenal"

Those of you have read my blog for any length of time are by now familiar with one of my favorite places to eat, "El Cardenal".  It is a chain of restaurants that specialize in traditional Mexican cuisine, and not too long ago they opened a place just a five minute walk from my apartment.  On my first full day in my home away from home, it is customary for me to go to "El Cardenal" for a hearty breakfast.  On weekend mornings it is an extremely popular spot, but on weekdays I can get one of the outdoor tables without any wait.


By this time many of the staff know me.  The hostess remembered my name, and one of the managers stopped at my table and gave me an "elbow bump".

I started with a cup of hot chocolate, and a piece of "pan de muerto" (the traditional "bread of the dead" that is served at this time of year).  It was my first "pan de muerto" on this trip.  All of their baked goods are freshly made on site, and this bread was exceptionally good.


I continued with "flautas ahogadas de cordero".  "Flautas" are corn tortillas that are tightly wrapped around a savory filling... in this case lamb... and then deep fried.  They get their name because they look like "flutes".


In this photo you really can't see the "flutes" because they are "ahogadas" (smothered) with green sauce and garnished with cheese, onion, avocado and cilantro.  Along with the "flautas" I had freshly squeezed mandarin orange juice, and freshly baked "bolillos", crispy rolls that are great for sopping up the salsa.

A delicious and filling breakfast, as always, at "El Cardenal".

No comments:

Post a Comment