from airplane

from airplane

Saturday, October 16, 2021

A Mexican Breakfast

This morning I had a breakfast that was scrumptious, hearty and thoroughly Mexican.  Alejandro's sister, Sandra, made gorditas, little discs of corn meal dough, in this case filled with "habas" (fava beans) and cooked on the griddle.  On top she served "frijoles", strips of poblano peppers in "crema" and chunks of chicken.  ¡Deliciosas!  So good I had a third "gordita".


Sandra also made hot chocolate.  (Gee, I wonder where they got that mug? 😁)

As if that was not enough, Alejandro went out and bought "tamales" from a neighborhood lady who sells them on weekends.  Some were wrapped in corn husks, and others were wrapped Oaxacan style in banana leaves.  I grabbed one wrapped in a corn husk, not sure of what kind I had selected.


I unwrapped the "tamal" (the singular in Spanish is "tamal", not "tamale"), and its pink color told me that it was a sweet "tamal".  I would have rather had one filled with "mole" or chicken with green sauce, but this sweet one was very tasty too.


A wonderful breakfast for my first weekend back in Mexico!

2 comments:

  1. Hot chocolate weather is upon us in Ohio. 50's and rainy for several days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, would you like me to bring you back some of the REAL thing for you?

      Delete