from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

My Own "Ofrenda"

If you have been reading this blog, by now you should know that an "ofrenda" is an altar which is set up in Mexican homes to honor departed loved ones on the Day of the Dead.  The last time that I was here for the Day of the Dead I set up a small "ofrenda" in the apartment that I rent.  I didn't bring photographs with me, so I bought some cardboard and made little signs with the names of friends and family members who had passed away.  When I returned this month I found those signs tucked away in a drawer along with the cardboard.  I added a few more names of friends including one who had passed away in the last year.  On my trip to the Jamaica Market I bought a few things for the altar, including a Day of the Dead tablecloth, some candles and some ceramic skulls.  

So here is my "ofrenda"...


It is lacking many elements of a traditional "ofrenda".  There should be an incense burner as well as offerings of food (including "bread of the dead") and a glass of water for the souls of the departed after their long journey.  And the marigolds are just paper flowers.

The two "catrinas" (elegantly dressed skeletons) on either side of the vase of flowers are something I purchased from street vendors in the neighborhood where I stay.


These "catrinas", made from corn husks, are something new for the Day of the Dead that I have not seen before.  When I saw a fellow selling them on a street near my apartment, I had to buy one.  A few days later I saw a woman selling them, and I bought another.  I doubt that I will try to transport them home since the brittle corn husks would probably not survive the trip.  I will probably ask Alejandro's sister if she would like them for her "ofrenda" next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment