city at night

city at night

Saturday, October 9, 2021

A Different Kind of Salsa

During my travels to Mexico I have tasted many different kinds of salsa.  But on my last trip I encountered a type of bottled salsa that I had never heard of previously... "salsa negra" (black salsa).


Alejandro had a bottle at home because his nephew Ezra likes "salsa negra" on his eggs at breakfast.  I tried it, and I liked it too.  The flavor is different from most salsas.  I would best describe it as somewhat similar to Worcestershire sauce but with a bit of a spicy kick.  The Mexican government now requires that packaged foods carry health warnings...  hence the "excess sugars" and "excess sodium" label on the front of the jar.  But one doesn't guzzle salsa by the bottle, so I don't think a bit of this product on eggs is a serious threat to one's health.

I have never noticed "salsa negra" on the shelf in the Mexican supermarket here in Cleveland, so I bought a bottle while in Mexico.  I am now enjoying it from time to time on my eggs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment