city at night

city at night

Friday, October 15, 2021

Stupid Me

This is the time when I would usually post pictures of my flight down to Mexico, but there was one problem.  I left my camera at home.  I didn't realize it until I was in the line at Cleveland airport to pass through security.  It is infuriating because I always make a check list before every trip.  I went through that list yesterday morning.  Wallet in my pocket?  Check.  Pouch with my passport and boarding passes?  Check.  Keyring snapped onto my belt?  Check.  I don't know if I was distracted or just tired (I left for the airport at 3:45 A.M.), but somehow I never grabbed my camera case and slung it over my shoulder.  

And before you scold this dinosaur for not owning a smart phone with which I could take pictures...

The old (not at all smart) cell phone that I had for emergency use when I traveled in Mexico was so outdated that it would no longer work. So on my last trip to Mexico, Alejandro actually gave me an inexpensive smart phone.  He taught me how to turn it on, and how to call him.  When I realized that I did not have my camera with me, I thought, "I guess Alejandro will have to teach me how to take photos with the smart phone."  But then it dawned on me that the phone was in the case with the camera.

After going through security in Cleveland, I got out my laptop and sent an email to Alejandro.  "Stupid me.  I left the phone at home.  I will not be able to call you when the plane lands in Mexico City."  When I got to Chicago, I sent him another email to let him know that the flight to Mexico City was on leaving on time.

Both flights went smoothly.  Because of headwinds, we arrived in Mexico City just  a few minutes late.  However, there was no wait at all at immigration.  Since I did not have checked luggage on this trip, I did not have to wait at the carrousel for that.  And unlike my last trip, when I had my suitcase thoroughly searched, I breezed right through customs this time.  I passed through the sliding doors into the terminal, and within a couple minutes I found Alejandro waiting for me.  We drove back to his house where I will spend the first several nights with him and his family.  

Last night Alejandro pulled out his digital camera which I will use on this trip.  It's quite similar to mine, but we have to go buy a memory card.  Hopefully we have a chance to do that today so that I can once again share photos with you.

2 comments:

  1. I can just imagine your dismay when you realized you didn't have your camera. I dropped my favorite Lumix digital camera two years ago and it hasn't worked since so I have been relegated to my Huawei phone. I hate it but hesitate to spend money on a camera........and so, nowadays, fewer and fewer photos....so glad Alejandro was able to present a solution! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara.
      I have been told that smart phones these days take such wonderful photos that a camera is not necessary. But, I'm sorry. I like my camera, and, whenever someone asks me to take a picture of them with their phone, I have a heck of a time touching the screen just right to snap the photo.
      Alejandro took me to buy a memory chip this morning, so I am good to go now with photos.

      Delete