city at night

city at night

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Colombian for Lunch

As I was walking around the pleasant neighborhood of Colonia del Valle the other day, I came across this little restaurant.


The sign says "Flavors and Traditions of Grandmother, Colombian Restaurant, Bakery and Coffee Shop".  I was a little surprised to see a Colombian restaurant in Colonia del Valle.  Most of the Colombian restaurants in Mexico City are located in the neighborhood of Roma Sur, which has the highest concentration of South American immigrants.

It was time for lunch so I decided to go in.  The "meal of the day" cost 80 pesos (about $4.50 US).  It included an "agua fresca" of pineapple and guava, a bowl of potato soup, and the platter below.

 
The shredded beef was rather stringy, but was nicely seasoned.  The beans were very good.  I mixed them with the rice.  The fried bananas were tasty.  (I assume that they were bananas and not plantains due to their size and sweetness.)  It was a simple but good meal.  The place is worth a repeat visit.

4 comments:

  1. Today I learned a new word: plantain, which, according to WordReference, is what we call in MX "plátano macho". Fried plantain dishes are so unheard of in Monterrey, but I have tried them a few times in restaurants serving dishes from Veracruz and they are really tasty. So many options to eat in Mexico City, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola, Tino.
      Yes, the dining options in Mexico City are indeed amazing. I wish however that there were fewer U.S. restaurant chains in the neighborhood of Napoles where I am staying!

      Delete
  2. Do you read Steve Cotton's blog? You should, if you don't. Funnily enough, he's just written all about Colombian food. Albeit from Colombia, not DF!

    http://steveinmexico.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/eating-my-way-through-colombia.html#disqus_thread

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have read his posts about Colombia. Given the fact that my favorite Mexican airline, Interjet, now has flights from CDMX to Bogota, I am tempted to take a trip down there.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete