In spite of the predominance of the Catholic Church and the existence of the Inquisition in colonial times, ever since the mid-nineteenth century, with the separation of church and state, Mexico has been a generally welcoming country to Jewish immigrants. Both Ashkenazi Jews from Europe and Sephardic Jews from the old Ottoman Empire came to Mexico. The majority of them settled to the east of the Zócalo, Mexico City's main square.
In 1941, Nidje Israel, the first Ashkenazi synagogue in Mexico, opened its doors. Eventually the Jewish community moved to other neighborhoods such as Condesa and Polanco, new synagogues were built, and the old house of worship fell into disuse. In 2008 a restoration of the building began, and today it is a museum and Jewish cultural center.
Only the stars of David on the wooden doors give us a clue of what lies within.