zocalo

zocalo

Monday, August 28, 2023

Marathon

Neither Alejandro nor I went to watch it, but the 40th Mexico City Marathon was held yesterday.  More than 25,000 runners from around the world participated in this year's event.  The race began at the Olympic Stadium on the campus of the National University of Mexico, wound its way past many of the city's most famous landmarks, and ended at the Zócalo, the city's main plaza.

The winner of the men's event was the Bolivian athlete Héctor Garibay Flores.  He was not only the first Bolivian to ever win the race, but he broke the marathon's record with a time of 2 hours, 8 minutes and 22 seconds.

(images taken from the internet)


Winning the women's event was Celestine Chepchirchir from Kenya.  She came close to breaking the women's record with a time of 2 hours, 27 minutes and 17 seconds.




2 comments:

  1. I always wonder about the impact of altitude on that marathon. Because a marathon closer to sea level is already hard enough! Maybe I'll get back into marathoning and come find out for myself someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that the altitude has an effect. As an old guy who likes to walk, but has never been into running, I don't notice the altitude except when I am climbing steps. After a few of flights of stairs, I'm huffing and puffing. I can't imagine running here.
      Marathon or not, you know that you are always welcome for a visit here.

      Delete