zocalo

zocalo

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Flying with the Moon

After some horrible flight experiences on my previous two trips, yesterday's journey to Mexico went like clockwork.

On Tuesday morning, 24 hours before my departure, I checked in online.  I was flying economy, but while I was looking at the seating chart for the flight from Cleveland to Chicago, I clicked on an "economy plus" (more legroom) seat to see how much the upgrade would cost.  I wasn't charged anything.  I went to the seating chart for the Chicago - Mexico City flight, and once again, there was no charge.  I know that my frequent flyer "Silver Premier" status entitles me to upgrades, but usually those are not given until the day of the flight at the airport.  Well, I was not going to look a gift horse in the mouth!

My flight to Chicago was scheduled to leave at 6:00 A.M.  That meant that I needed to be at the airport at 4:00.  I called for a taxi to pick me up at 3:30.  I would have to get up by at least 2:30, so why bother going to bed at all?  I stayed up all night.

My taxi arrived five minutes early. (I'm always paranoid about the taxi coming on time.)  In ten minutes I was at the airport.  On previous occasions when I had a 6:00 A.M. flight, I have been surprised how crowded Cleveland Airport has been, with a long, long line for security.  This time, the airport was not as busy.

The flight to Chicago boarded right on time,  Looking out my window, as you see, if was still dark, and there was a full moon hanging in the sky.  Can you see it above the tower?

The plane left the gate a few minutes before schedule.  Not only did I have legroom in my "economy plus" seat, but there was no one in the middle seat.  It was a very comfortable flight.

 All the way to Chicago, the moon was outside my window.



It's a very short flight to Chicago, less than an hour.  Before long, we were descending, and the metropolitan area was below us.




The plane went out over Lake Michigan and then circled back, giving my side of the plane a view of downtown Chicago.  And the moon was still there.






Because of the time difference, we arrived in Chicago at the same time that we left Cleveland.  By the time that we had landed, the sun had risen.


When I got off the plane, I checked to see from which gate my flight to Mexico would leave.  It was leaving from the very same gate at which I had arrived.  How convenient!

I had a three-hour layover, so I had some breakfast.  There is a small "torta" restaurant on the concourse operated by Rick Bayless, the well-known chef who does shows about Mexican cuisine on PBS.  I had a tasty "torta" (a type of Mexican sandwich) stuffed with beans, chorizo, cheese and avocado.

I went back to my gate, just a short distance down the concourse.  The plane that would take me to Mexico City was already waiting there, and it was scheduled to leave on time.



Next, on to Mexico!



No comments:

Post a Comment