city at night

city at night

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Sunday Shopping

My shopping expedition on Sunday was not to some colorful Mexican market or "tianguis", but was rather, shall we say, rather "gringoesque".

There were some things that I needed to buy for the apartment such as paper towels and toilet paper.  Alejandro suggested that we go to Sam's Club.  Of course, Sam's Club sells merchandise in bulk, but we figured that I could take half for the apartment and Alejandro could take half back to his house.  Rather than going to the Sam's Club near his home, we went to one located about three miles away from the apartment.  We will probably never go to that one again.  The parking and the crowds of shoppers were absolute chaos.  

I had brought my Sam's Club membership card with me, because I wanted to find out if it was valid in Mexico.  To my surprise, it was accepted.  

I had mentioned to Alejandro earlier that I wanted to go the UNAM (National University of Mexico) store to buy some university apparel as gifts for friends back home.  So, after our hectic visit to Sam's Club, we drove south to the UNAM campus.

The store is enormous, like a Walmart with groceries, clothing, appliances, home goods, etc.  Students, faculty and employees receive a discount, but the store is open to the general public.


We headed to the section of university clothing and souvenirs.  We had been to the store once before, and I had found some nice items.  On this visit, however, I was rather disappointed.  The selection of clothing was limited, and they didn't have the sizes I wanted.  Although the clothing was all made in Mexico, other items, such as UNAM coffee mugs, were made in China.  I ended up buying a tee-shirt and a polo shirt. 

We wandered around a bit, and in the grocery section we found an entire aisle devoted to artisanal and organic Mexican food products... coffee, chocolate, salsas, etc.  I purchased a couple items there to take home as gifts.  

So, although our shopping expedition was not entirely satisfying, it was fairly productive. 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment