from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, October 20, 2022

Jamaica Market - The Flowers

Yesterday I went to my favorite market in Mexico City... the Jamaica Market.  If you have read my blog over the years, you know that I visit this place frequently.  I think it is so amazing that, whenever I am playing "tour guide" to friends or relatives, I always take them here.  The days leading up to the Day of the Dead are one of the best times to visit. 

I took so many pictures that I have enough material for three blog posts.  Since I have written so many times about this market, I hope my long-time readers won't think, "Yeah, yeah, I've seen this before."

The Jamaica Market is most famous as the largest flower market in Mexico City.  There are over 1000 stands selling over 5000 types of flowers and plants.  The display of flower arrangements, cut flowers, funeral wreaths and house plants in this cavernous building is incredible.


   












Prices, especially by U.S. standards, are very inexpensive.


35 pesos,,, that's about $1,75 in U.S. currency... for a bundle of bird of paradise flowers



Two dozen greenhouse roses for 80 pesos (4 dollars)



But wait!  Just down the aisle they are offering SIX dozen roses for eighty pesos!
(Although there is not a large variety of colors.)

The traditional flower for Day of the Dead is the marigold.  It is believed that the flower's pungent smell guides the souls of the departed home.  So, here at the Jamaica Market at this time of year you will see more marigolds than you have ever seen in your life!






As fantastic as the floral display is, there is more to see in this market besides flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment