from airplane

from airplane

Monday, October 24, 2022

At the "Grandparents' House"

I arrived at the "Foro Polanco" to see the Immersive Frida Experience around noon (which is when Google Maps said the place opens).  However, the place was still closed.  I asked a vendor who had a stand on the sidewalk if she knew when the "Foro" opens, and she said at 12:30.

Right across the street I saw there was a branch of the restaurant chain "La Casa de los Abuelos" (The Grandparents' House).  I decided to kill time there and have a bite to eat.


The place does not fit in with Polanco's reputation as a haunt of the rich and snobby, a neighborhood where you can easily pay a couple hundred dollars for dinner.  "Casa de los Abuelos" is a middle-class restaurant.  Don't expect spectacular, gourmet food here... just simple home-style cooking at an affordable price in a bright, clean setting.


I started with "café lechero" (coffee with steamed milk) and a "chocolatín" (a chocolate-filled pastry). Their "sopes" are probably my favorite here, so I ordered a "sope de cochinita pibil".  No, a "sope" is not soup.  It has a base of fried corn meal dough.  The edges are pinched to hold in the toppings.  Typically, all "sopes" will have refried beans, shredded lettuce, crumbled cheese and "crema" (similar to sour cream).  Mine also had "cochinita pibil", a marinated pork recipe from Yucatán.


It was a tasty meal, and my bill came to a grand total of 118 pesos... less than six dollars.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment