from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Once Again at "El Cardenal"

Last weekend, Alejandro was with me.  On Saturday we were going to see the "alebrije" parade downtown, so we needed to get an early start.  We beat the crowds and were at the nearby branch of "El Cardenal" for breakfast when it opened at 8:00 A.M.  We had a table in the mall and could look through the window and see the restaurant's bakers preparing the bread.



We started with guava "atole"... a hot beverage made from ground corn... and bread of the dead... special items on the menu for this season.


For the Day of the Dead season "El Cardenal" also has tamales on the breakfast menu.  The last time that I came here I had tried the "tamal" with pork and black "mole", and I had thought that it was superb.  Since Alejandro is quite the connoisseur of "mole", I wanted him to try it and see what his opinion was.  He agreed that it was excellent.


 I wanted to try one of the other varieties of tamales that are on the menu.  I ordered the "rajas" (strips) of poblano peppers with cheese.  It, too, was very good, but, so far, the black "mole" is my favorite.



Energized with our hearty breakfast, we were ready to go downtown for the season's first big event... "The Parade of Monumental Alebrijes"!

No comments:

Post a Comment