city at night

city at night

Thursday, October 6, 2022

Prelude to Mexico

Yesterday I visited my friends Nancy and Fred.  You have met them already on this blog, because I have been their "tour guide" on two different trips to Mexico... once in Mérida, Yucatán, and then in Mexico City.  Nancy is another retired teacher; she used to teach math in the school where I taught.

They live across town from me, but we always try to get together whenever I am at home in Ohio.  We usually go out to eat at a Mexican restaurant called "Dos Coronas" not far from their house.


Of course, most Mexican restaurants up here are more "Tex-Mex" than truly authentic Mexican food.  That's not necessarily a bad thing... good "Tex-Mex" is very tasty.  However, there are some dishes on the menu here at "Dos Coronas" which taste very much like the real thing in Mexico.  So, our visit to the restaurant yesterday was sort of a prelude to the food I will be enjoying in just one more week in Mexico City.  

We really don't even need to look at the menu since we always order the same things.

Nancy always has the enchiladas with "mole".  Technically, the dish should be called "enmoladas", since a true enchilada is covered with a different kind of sauce made from chile peppers.  However, most "gringos" would see the word "enmolada" on the menu and wonder, "What the heck is that?".



Fred always orders the "quesadillas".


I always begin with the "sopa Azteca"... Aztec soup, and then I have the "carnitas", slow-cooked, braised pork.  Their "carnitas" are very tasty and are comparable to what I have had in Mexico.


(If the presentation of the food looks a bit sloppy in these photos, it is because I didn't remember to take photos until we had already started to eat. 😁)

It was a great afternoon, with good food, and, most of all, the company of "mis buenos amigos"!

2 comments:

  1. It's just about lunch time so all the food looks good to me! Sometimes I wish we had Tex-Mex down here! A few restaurants do have one or two things from time to time but usually their specials are better and I forget about Tex-Mex then. ha Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, good Tex-Mex is very tasty. However, I always have to laugh when restaurants up here claim to be "authentic Mexican", and they have items like taco salad and chimichangas on the menu.

      Delete