from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, October 20, 2022

A Bit of Halloween

I was walking through the park near my apartment, and I saw that a vendor had set up a stand on the corner.  He was selling Halloween stuff.  I wasn't interested in the Halloween costumes, but the fired clay jack-o'-lanterns caught my eye.  The vendor told me that they were made in Mexico.  I should have asked him where in Mexico, because I know that there are several towns that produce them for this time of year.  The jack-o'-lanterns had a hole in the back so that you can place a candle inside.  He also had battery-operated candles for sale... those were probably made in China.  

So, I bought a medium sized pumpkin and a candle.  The price was ninety pesos... $4.50 US.  Quite a bargain I thought.  


Lest you accuse me of corrupting the Mexican observance of Day of the Dead with the gringo celebration of Halloween, let me assure you that the jack-o'-lantern is in a different room from where I will set up my "ofrenda".  😊




No comments:

Post a Comment