from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, October 27, 2022

My "Ofrenda"

 This week I set up an "ofrenda", the altar which Mexican families place in their homes in memory of departed loved ones for the Day of the Dead.  I have had an ofrenda a couple of times previously, but this time I brought framed photographs of friends and family members who have passed away.



My "ofrenda" not 100% accurate.  For example, it should be built on three levels... representing the cosmos of earth, heaven and underworld. There should be a plate with Bread of the Dead to nourish the souls.  I did not buy an incense burner nor the resinous copal wood which is burnt.  There is no cross either.  (So much of the ofrenda are elements from pre-Hispanic times, that the Spanish missionaries insisted on a cross.) 

However, I have incorporated several items that are traditional for the "ofrenda".  The marigolds (with their bright color and pungent aroma) and the candles are to guide the souls of the departed to the altar.  The bowl of salt is for the purification of the soul, and there is a clay jar filled with water for quench the thirst of the souls after their journey.  The banners of "papel picado" (cut paper), the ceramic skulls, and a figure of a dog (who guides souls in the afterlife) are all typical.


Although I have a couple of real candles, I bought several flameless battery-operated candles.  After all, I don't want to burn down the apartment!

I also bought another string of "papel picado" which I hung across the window of the glass-enclosed balcony of the apartment.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment