city at night

city at night

Friday, May 21, 2021

Visiting Vincent

 At the end of my pre-pandemic trip to Mexico City in February of 2020, a show entitled "Van Gogh Live" was opening for a run of several months.  A large, temporary structure had been erected in one of the city's parks for the show, and within images of the artist's paintings were projected all around.  I already had my airline tickets to return to Mexico in April, so Alejandro bought tickets for us to attend at that time.  Of course the pandemic changed everything.  I would not return to Mexico for over a year, and the show closed down for a time.  It eventually reopened with safety measures in place, and Alejandro rescheduled the tickets and went with his sister and nephew.  

On my recent trip I realized that the show was still running, and I asked Alejandro if he would like to go again.  So, on my last weekend in Mexico City, we went to "Van Gogh Live".  It was quite an impressive experience.  You stand or sit in this large space, while on all sides (and even on the floor) there are constantly changing images spanning his entire career, from his early artistic works in his native Netherlands, to his time in Paris, to his most productive years in Arles and his final year in Saint-Rémy.  

Here are some photos and video clips that I took of the show...


Before entering the hall, there is a life-size, three dimensional recreation of his famous painting of his room in Arles.




















The show has toured the world, and in September it will be coming to Cleveland.

No comments:

Post a Comment