city at night

city at night

Friday, May 7, 2021

Another Favorite

Another restaurant within walking distance of my apartment that is one of my favorites is "El Bajío".  Like "El Cardenal", "El Bajío" is a chain which specializes in traditional Mexican cuisine.  I give the edge to "El Cardenal", but "El Bajío" is also very good.

It was not until a couple days ago that I noticed that they also had tables outside.  That answered the question as to where to go for dinner that afternoon.



I ordered a portion of guacamole and "agua de jamaica" (water flavored with hibiscus blossoms).



As a starter I had "caldo Xóchitl", chicken broth with shredded chicken, pieces of avocado, cilantro and onion.



"El Bajío" has excellent "carnitas", pork that is heavily seasoned, and slowly braised with lard until tender.  I ordered a "huarache de carnitas".  "Huarache" means "sandal", and in this dish, the base of fried corn dough has an oblong shape somewhat similar to a sandal.  The base is smeared with smashed beans, and a topping, in this case the "carnitas", is added.


As you can see, they do not skimp with the "carnitas".  By the time I finished this, there was no room for dessert!

2 comments:

  1. Such big portions! I'm glad to see some vegetables on that plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact is that the vegetables don't normally come with the "Huarache"... they serve "guacamole" on the side. But since I had already ordered "guacamole" as an appetizer, the waitress asked me if I would like some vegetables instead.

      Delete